Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Flute Player

The sun was going down, sliding away in the river like eyes in the sea of tears. While walking I found my heart heavy with the grief. I settled down on a rock and saw the birds returning to their nests and sky going dark. There was the feeling of tranquility as the waves touched my feet. To this moment filled with many feelings was added the soft tunes of a flute. It was coming from somewhere far away. Every note coming from the flute was in the recognition of the retracing steps of the sun and my heart. There was no sign of the one playing the flute. The melodious notes seemed to me coming from the middle of the river. I decided to take a boat and experience the river that seemed to be the origin of the music.
                         I started to row in the river and felt the waves carrying me to my destination. There, on the other side of the shore, under the shade of a huge tree, I saw a young boy with a thin long flute lost in the creation of his own. The deep crimson color of the sky was reflecting on him and to me he appeared as a painter painting the whole sky, earth and river with his flute. I took out the camera and clicked many photos. Soon I was close enough to make my presence felt to him. He opened his eyes and looked bright and vibrant as a saint coming out of his meditation.
                         I said breaking into the cosmos of music as it got difficult for me to sustain my excitement and curiosity to know this young flute player. i asked “you were playing beautifully. What is your name?”in a voice that was high enough to jerk him from his position and the parrots on the tree which took off, displeased by my presence but i stood on the point and continued to look at him. Breaking into a warm smile he replied “thank you. My name is bhola.”
                       “Ok, I have taken a lot of your pictures. I will send you after developing them, if you want. Give me your address.”
                      his cheeks went red. he shifted his feet unesily and carefully said “I will give you. But first listen to the flute more. Come out of the boat and sit here” he said offering me his hand. I took it and sat next to him. He started playing his flute and without knowing I drowned myself in the timelessness.

1 comment: